Saturday, 20 March 2010

MAKEOVER!



I have never really had a proper make up consultation, and never really knew what type of foundation I should wear and what colours etc. Since I am now fully employed I thought I would treat myself to a MAC make over and finally wear the right colours for my skin tone!

I'll admit I was a bit nervous as I had to go on my lunch break as it takes an hour, I finish work at 6 and the store shuts at 6.30...so I went on my break but didn't want to come out looking really done up and go back into the office (which is all men apart from me!) and have them all go, what the hell have you just done!

Even though I don't wear lots of makeup, especially when going to work, I have always had issues with my skin and don't like leaving the house with some cover up as I'm not too confident without my 'face on.' This was another factor that was making me slightly nervous, all the make overs are just done in the shop so everyone who is browsing/buying can look at you! And I wasn't too keen on them all seeing me with no makeup on!

So, I go to my appointment and my nerves are kind of blown out straight away. We have a little chat about what look I am going for, the lady was very nice, not too overwhelming. Then she sits me down, initially I am slightly relieved as I am sat at the table which is at the back and so not as out in the open as the other table.

Then she takes my make up off, and THEN she says, let me show you all our types of foundations etc and we can choose the one that’s best for you... felt slightly uncomfortable walking around with a slightly blotchy face after being face wiped and moisturised! But no one actually cares! I wanted to hide my face from everyone but no one even looked, (why would they?!) So this was good for me as I got over a mini fear of being in public with no makeup on!

Secondly after we had picked the foundation etc, she made me look at my face in the mirror. Now I know they are also sales people at the end of the day and have to be complimentary, but she really did make me feel better about myself and did so in a very relaxed an un-patronizing way!

I explained how I felt my skin needs to be covered up but she literally made me identify the areas that needed a bit more cover up, that took about 3 seconds...problem solved. I didn't need a heavy cover up, I just needed the right colour for my skin tone to get everything to blend in. And after having looked at your face in such a way it did make me feel more confident with no makeup on.

I have been known to say that I don't really like facials and wouldn't normally go for a makeover as I don't like people being that close to my face and I don't like them looking and analysing it in such detail. But I must say, if i ever win the lottery I may hire someone to do my make up for me every day! It is very therapeutic and it was quite nice to see the difference in stages that make up can do!

Towards the end the other make up artists and sales people kept coming over to see 'what she'd done to me' and it did all feel much more relaxed and I was much more relaxed than I thought I'd be!

I never wear lipstick as I don't think I can pull it off but she put the new Lady Gaga pink lipstick on me, which was pretty bright but I did like it and it brightened up my face. It was fun learning about make up properly and taking the time to listen to what the artist said. And the only time she mentioned buying anything was at the end when she said 'will you be wanting to take anything with you today.' I walked out with foundation, powder and blusher, so I definitely treated myself but I'm glad I did and I would definitely advise others to do so.

If you've never really thought about make up properly but just buy what you like or what is on offer, you can completely transform your face when you know you are using the right shades etc.

Who knows when I get a promotion I might go one step further and get my make up done when I go on any big nights out just to make myself feel that little bit better! I don't really care if this whole post has made me sound really vain and shallow. I know that make up makes me feel more confident, especially when my face hasn't seen any sunshine for the past however many months! If a bit of 'slap' makes you feel a bit better about yourself then why the hell should we feel bad about it! One day I may venture out the house with a 'naked' face... but until that day I'm happy with my newer, more natural looking (hopefully) make up!


Me post make over - can't see the lipstick too much as light wasn't very bright!
Me post make-over 11pm - it lasted quite well!
My first attempt with my new products!!

3 comments:

My-Mannequin said...

Love it :)

bogoosha said...

very interesting blog and ur super pretty :)

Eri said...

Hi there,

I just came across your blog and really enjoyed it.

Please have a look at my blog too. I hope to see you soon.

Eri

Related Posts with Thumbnails