Thursday, 29 April 2010

NEVER KNOWINGLY UNDERSOLD

Has anyone else seen the latest John Lewis advert? If not you can watch it here. I think it's lovely...it oozes John Lewis brand identity and they have stuck to what they are good at.

I watched the documentary about John Lewis on the BBC a few weeks back and had mixed thoughts on the brand. I thought some of the 'big gun's behind the brand, especially in the fashion department, seemed a bit dim! And I really didn't like the fashion ad campaign that they were covering at that time.

I understand that they were trying to gain a younger audience, which is fair enough. Why should they submit to the fact that such a large chunk of the market rarely walks through their doors? I admire their approach and their optimism but the ads were just naff and bland. However I am obviously wrong as since this huge push towards younger market and re-launching the website, JL has seen huge online sales and reported increasingly profits month after month...but I still don't like them!!

I didn't like the colours used and the wishy washy background and the slightly futuristic photography of the products. However this latest ad ticks all the boxes, especially the loyalty and trust boxes, which I think are the core elements behind JL's success.

Sure, there have been similar ads, following an individual through the different stages of their life or time span... (hovis bread advert with the boy running home or the toothpaste ad that follows the young boy growing up), but this one sort of stuck with me more.

It illustrates that their products are in it for the long run, and that you know if they can't deliver on this promise there will always be a person (human being, not a electronic voice on the phone) that can sit down with you and talk through the problem and give realistic solutions.

I think it's just nice sometimes to see an advert on TV that looks realistic, with real people that aren't over air-brushed and whose voices haven't been badly dubbed! It is also nice to know there is a solid message behind the ad. But what are your thoughts? I bet many will think it's boring,  maybe I'm just getting soft in my old age!

Do you think this is really capturing the younger markets attention??

3 comments:

My-Mannequin said...

I like it too! And I heard on the radio the other day that the song in the background 'She's Always a Woman' originally by Billy Joel but covered by The Guillemots is doing really well in the charts (it's at 26 at the moment) so other people must like it too.

bogoosha said...

thank u 4 the comment. BABE i can not see.canu upload biger ones?

What the Street Wears said...

nice bag

Related Posts with Thumbnails