Wednesday, 19 May 2010

19.05.10

PEARL FOR PEACOCKS

Thought I would give a little review of the new collection from Peacocks, featuring designs from Pearl Lowe, and modeled by the lovely Daisy Lowe. 

Now these aren't really my style, however I can appreciate the 'light and floaty' feel that peacocks have gone for to suit the summer months. It seems that Pearl had her daughter in mind when designing this collection as the clothes suit very well in the shoot that supports this collection. 

At first, the price point seemed a little high (£30 starting price for the dresses), which is more along the lines of M&S rather than the lower end market prices. However when I looked around at other dresses that weren't part of the collection they averaged about £20 - £25, so I guess Peacocks are trying to raise their price point, in the hopes of rising their 'quality' status. 

The T-shirts in the collection again seemed quite high in price, the quality felt OK (probably a bit better than Primark, but not too different from H&M). But I felt the T-shirt designs were quite uninspiring, and didn't really fit with the rest of the collection and was a bit of a half thought. Maybe someone said 'let's throw some T-shirts in as well' - and this is what they came up with!

My favourite piece, even though I probably wouldn't wear it is the most expensive! The £40 blue polka dot dress. It seems to stand out more than the others and have a bit more character than the others which fall into the 'floral, summer tea party' category. The runner up is the 'retro dress.' I was drawn to this due to the darker colours used, still at a reasonably high £30, the reason this takes second place is the fabric let it down somewhat. 


However, overall I think this collection could do quite well as I'm sure many young girls/young women will enjoy feeling feminine in the delicate dresses and tops. But how many of you knew that this collection existed? Would you know who Pearl Lowe was if you hadn't heard of Daisy? I read about the collection in a Magazine - I think the Stylist?? But since that I've not really heard much about it or seen many of the products featured anywhere. 

Anyway, what are your thoughts? Too expensive? I think even if this collection was to my taste and style I wouldn't really be rushing to get anything from there, the whole £40 price tag and Peacocks just doesn't sit well with me! Which brings me to a mini final thought...are all lower end high street stores raising their prices? I recently found a pair of flip flop/sandles in Primark, priced at £12! There really wasn't much too them and again, I didn't part with my cash as I didn't expect to pay that much in Primark! Am I right? Or am I just being a snob??

Who knows...all I know is that there are plenty of people who will buy the £12 sandles so there's not really much point in moaning!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails