Saturday, 24 July 2010

24.07.10

TREAT

This will be only a mini post for today as I am trying to enjoy the short bursts of sunshine we are having! But I wanted to share with you all this gorgeous ring I bought yesterday. If you follow me on twitter you may have seen my twitpic I uploaded as I was so chuffed with it I needed to show the world!


The reason I love this ring is not only is it so pretty, but it has a story! Can you think what item this was before it was a ring?.....Well, would you believe, it was a spoon! I bought it off a guy in Covent Garden Market. His jewellery was amazing, all solid silver made from forks, spoons and other cutlery! And because they were all original sold silver they all have hallmarks on them. So the guy went through what the different hallmarks on the item mean. Turns out my 'spoon ring' was made in Sheffield in 1945 by Mappin & Webb! I really wish he had a website that I could share with you all but he didn't! So all I will say is that if you are ever in Covent Garden do hunt through the market to see if he's around as his stuff really is worth a look at. At £30 I think that is a perfectly reasonable price for the quality and thought that has gone into this item!

This is the kind of recycling that I'm into. I understand why people like buying second hand clothing etc as it has some sort of 'story' but I think this is much more relevant to jewellery. I don't know if it is just because solid silver items and other jewellery products are made to last longer, they feel that they should have a bit of a history. And anyone who knows me will know that I like buying items that I know not everyone else will be wearing and I definitely think this ring fits the bill! Do any of you guys have any weird and wonderful pieces of jewellery that used to be something completely different?

Anyways, hope you're all having a good weekend, I'm off to catch a few more rays before dinner! Also, do keep coming back to my blog as tomorrow I will be posting a Jewellery discount offer for an online jewellery store where my readers can get 15% off! More to follow!....

2 comments:

Anna Katrina said...

that ring is gorgeous! enjoy it :)

stop by sometime<3
http://passportglamour.blogspot.com

kerry, a fashion lover said...

Hey love :)

The ring is stunning, and the story behind it is beautiful! I love the 1930's and 1940's as a period in time and would love to own something as exquisite and historically interesting as this, will def have to take a trip to London and visit his stall.

Thanks for checking out my blog! Am following yours and a fan!

Kerry

http://alittlefashionromance.blogspot.com

Related Posts with Thumbnails