Wednesday, 11 August 2010

VOGUE ITALIA - ONE SHOOT TOO FAR?


I'm sure most of you have seen this shoot or read about it in other magazines, so wanted to bring it up with all you guys. So far all I've read are professional opinions, but what do 'real' people think?

At first, like most, I was a little shocked, as with or without the recent events with BP this shoot is very powerful. Let's put those events out of our minds for a moment and just look at the shots. The models are in very striking poses and they really are very vivid. I think that if this shot had been published before the events that happened on the BP oil rig, they would have caused as much controversy and upset as they have done now.

I am very interested in photography and I am aware that many shots will please some and horrify others, but this is meant to be a 'fashion shoot' and I simply think people aren't ready, or wont ever be ready, to have such powerful, statement setting imagery in a fashion magazine.

Vogue Italia's editor in chief, France Sozzani suggests that the shoot is meant to suggest that we need to 'be careful about nature.' However I can't really recall seeing a fashion shoot that had such a strong and political message behind it. Is this the fate of fashion shoots of the future? That they will all have a 'meaning' behind them? Sure, they have themes or stories, but I'm not too keen on the idea of being 'educated' each time I go to look at upcoming trends!

Anyway, would love to hear your thoughts, do you think it is all a big fuss over nothing? Or did it really offend you?

2 comments:

kerry, a fashion lover said...

hey love!
it is such a vivid piece of photography, and your right bound to bring up strong feelings on the subject. I think fashion should make a statement though and make the world think. The model was amazing to have whatever poured on her as well!

love kerry

xx

http://alittlefashionromance.blogspot.com

Adele said...

I havent seen it will check it out!

Ad̬le Рmoltocuriosa.com

Related Posts with Thumbnails